The Zoological Society of London (ZSL) is a charity devoted to the worldwide conservation of animals and their habitats. Their veterinarians contribute wide-ranging skills and experience to both practical conservation and to the scientific research that underpins this work.
The Zoological Society of London currently have retail outlets at London Zoo and Whipsnade Zoo, plus a small but growing internet business. The current warehousing facility is based at London Zoo and is supplemented with temporary warehousing facilities. A review was therefore required of the current and future demands of all retail requirements and a solution developed to meet these. The objectives of the review were as follows:
- To understand the existing retail operation, warehousing and distribution facilities
- To identify the key issues and strengths of the existing facilities
- Develop and collate all necessary information for the future retail business and warehousing and distribution requirements within ZSL
- Identify and fully evaluate the most likely solutions to meet future requirements
- Identify the best solutions and provide a benefit analysis, reasoning and timescale
- Produce a report to present the findings in a format agreed with ZSL. This included a written report and presentation to Project Managers and Directors
- Provide a detailed requirement document of ZSL’s approved and agreed future warehousing and distribution requirements
We began by working with the ZSL team to identify the important issues. It was clear that the warehouse had run out of space but were there reasons other than just growth that were causing this problem? For example we talked to the team about procurement processes and supplier arrangements to see if there were other ways of reducing stock before simply taking on more storage space. Also we investigated warehouse processes to see if the best use was being made of floor areas and storage locations.
Having turned over every stone to ensure that the best use was being made of the existing facilities we took a range of growth forecasts and looked at when new facilities would be needed and what size they should be.
The result was a practical and logical strategy for the future of ZSL’s retail supply chain which provided the Directors with the information they needed to set their budgets and develop their plans for the future.